42 million Americans in limbo as Trump administration fights to freeze SNAP payments

President Donald Trump’s administration has again turned to the Supreme Court, asking it to keep full payments from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) frozen while the government remains shut down. The request comes as millions of Americans struggle to buy food and rely on the program that helps about 42 million people each month.

SNAP benefits have been caught in a legal back-and-forth during the shutdown. Lower courts, including rulings from Judge John J. McConnell in Rhode Island, ordered the government to keep full benefits flowing. The administration appealed, saying those rulings interfere with congressional negotiations over government funding.

Solicitor General D. John Sauer, representing the administration, told the Supreme Court that while the funding lapse is tragic, judges should not control spending decisions. The high court, where Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson is handling emergency matters, is expected to rule soon.

The Senate on Monday passed a compromise package to reopen the government and refill SNAP funds. The measure now goes to the House for consideration.

Sanders explodes over Trump’s shutdown, accuses Bezos and Musk of benefiting from ‘rigged’ tax breaks

Millions Wait as States Struggle

The shutdown has caused confusion across the country. Some states, including Hawaii and New Jersey, sent out full SNAP benefits after Judge McConnell’s order. Others, such as Nebraska and West Virginia, held off while waiting for new instructions from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), which oversees the program.

The delays have left families desperate. Brandi Johnson, 48, from St. Louis, said she had only $20 left in her SNAP account and had been skipping meals so her three teenage children could eat. She is also caring for her infant granddaughter, who has food allergies, and her elderly mother. Johnson said food pantries have offered little help as many restrict aid by ZIP code or prioritize the elderly.

Millions of people in at least a dozen states, mostly with Democratic governors, received full SNAP payments before Justice Jackson paused Judge McConnell’s order. Many others have yet to receive their benefits for November. Some states, including Texas, have issued partial payments as they wait for further guidance.

Diane Yentel, head of the National Council of Nonprofits, said the uncertainty has deepened suffering for children, seniors, and working families. She said nonprofits are struggling to meet growing demand as government delays continue.

Kamala Harris rallies Democrats during shutdown — ‘we won’t trade healthcare for tax breaks’

Confusion and Clashes Deepen

The USDA’s changing instructions have added to the chaos. After Judge McConnell ordered full payments, the department told states to move ahead, only to later send a message telling them to “undo” any full benefits issued. Judge Indira Talwani, overseeing a related case in Boston, said the shifting orders were confusing, especially since one came just a day after the opposite message.

In Wisconsin, which quickly issued full benefits, federal reimbursement was frozen, leaving the state’s SNAP account nearly empty. Officials warned that stores might not be repaid for food sold to SNAP users. New York Attorney General Letitia James said some cardholders were being turned away by stores, while New Jersey Attorney General Matt Platkin called the administration’s effort “the most heinous thing I’ve ever seen in public life.”

A federal appeals court in Boston, led by Judge Julie Rikleman, left the full benefits order in place but criticized the government for being unprepared. She said the record showed the administration “sat on its hands” while people went without food.

Federal lawyer Tyler Becker told Judge Talwani that the USDA’s order was aimed at states and not directly at beneficiaries. Talwani said she would issue a full written order soon.

As of Monday, SNAP payments remain uncertain, and the legal fight continues. States are unsure whether they can or should release full monthly benefits while the Supreme Court weighs the Trump administration’s appeal.

T U Deshmukh
T U Deshmukh is the leading voice on the subject of Jobs, AI, Data and layoffs and she regularly contributes a column on Jobs for Newsinterpretation.

TOP 10 TRENDING ON NEWSINTERPRETATION

Mexican human smuggler sentenced for role in years-long smuggling organization — DOJ

A Mexican national was sentenced Monday to 11 years...

Gang members sentenced to 50 years each for murdering fellow gang member — DOJ

Two Unknown Vice Lords . A violent Memphis street gang...

Mexican national sentenced to prison in vast alien smuggling conspiracy — DOJ

A Mexican national was sentenced yesterday to 41 months...

Remembering Dr Ravi Pandit and his passion for public policy research

The kind-hearted billionaire Shashi Shekhar Balkrishna (S.B.) ‘Ravi’ Pandit’s...

U.s. department of justice announces compensation process for victims of airbit club fraud scheme — DOJ

Last week the Department of Justice announced the launch...

Former NFL player sentenced to over 16 years in prison for $197m medicare fraud — DOJ

A former NFL player who owned a marketing company...

The fraud division launches west coast strike force to target health care fraud schemes across arizona, nevada, and northern california — DOJ

The Justice Department’s National Fraud Enforcement Division (Fraud Division)...